Friday 10 June 2011

Wacky Wine's Winerys

This year was the 8th anniversary of Wacky Wine and with over 16,000 visitors expected and a persistent husband  almost blackmailing me into going, I decided to jump headfirst into a weekend of alcohol and over-eating.

The only winery that I had been to out in Robertson had been Bon Courage but we had been given advice from Wayne that Roberston holds some amazing wine gems. So Brett and I were expecting big things from the weekend and I was sure that I would come away with some wine favourites and some bottles to add to our collection.

Our first stop on the Friday night was Rooiberg but it's seriously not worth a mention at all except to say that their port tasted like old slippers. Moving on...


Saturday morning came bright and glorious and we cleverly decided upon Bon Courage as our first stop. Brett had seen the hoards last year and I was adamant that I would get a chance to taste everything.
At around 10:30am people were already there and set up with their wine and oysters. Scoffing down a quick pancake to line the stomach we set about filling our glasses.

I should have stayed there all day. I was in sweet heaven with these tipples




Red muscadel – I’m a big fan already because the sweetness you experience in the first sip isn’t drowned out by a strong fumy aftertaste and the flavours just keep getting better. Bought a case!








Special Late Harvest – A medium sweet taste with not as much body as the Noble and with more of a zesty aftertaste. Brett liked this more than the following...











Noble Late Harvest – It felt as though I was eating an apricot and peach crumble with baked currants. If you had given me a pot of clotted cream I would have literally made out with you.
 My favourite and the winner for the week.






Inkara Cabernet Saviougn – Oh.My.Word. I may just have drank angel blood!
Having won numerous accolades including the Diamond award from Winemakers Choice, this beautifully delicate yet rich wine is AMAZING. I often find that a Cab Sav is too high in tannins which destroys the taste for me. I have a delicate palette, but this smelt heavenly and went down like a friggin dream. 
We stupidly only bought two bottles (R107) but are determined to stock up as we have been told that it has excellent aging potential. 





I wish I never left...... (Next blog post Springfield, Rusticus and Zandvliet)

No comments:

Post a Comment