Sunday 12 June 2011

Meerendal

This was Brett's choice and a lovely Saturday surprise.


Meerendal is a pretty stunning location with a tasting room overlooking rolling hills. I think the location made me expect a lot from the wines.

For R20 you get four tasters which, compared to some wineries is a little cheap-ass of them so we decided to be equally poor and share one tasting together - which I think is rather sweet. *vomit*

We chose 3 reds and 1 naturally sweet white.

Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 2006 R199
Look: 
It was incredibly watery looking with no real body to it. A Lindsay Lohan of the wine world.
Nose: 
Very peppery and disappointing for Brett.
Sip: 
At least my throat is still in tact but I'm losing sensation in my tongue.
Swallow: 
I remember before I got some of my teeth pulled out and they put a numbing agent on my gums. Ya. Same feeling yet not as flavour-some. At least it didn't burn so that is a bonus.

Merlot Reserve 2007 R188
Look: 1/2
A little more body but there still seems to be a watery film on top.
Nose:
Very fruity causing a mouth-watering sensation in the mouth
Sip:
Bit of a nose tingle but it has a distinct hint of chocolate and vanilla. Oooh fruity.
Swallow:1/2
It doesn't have the same numbing effect as the wine before and I like the delicious fruity after-taste



Pinotage Heritage Block Single Vineyard R320 (This is where Brett and I differ - he quite enjoyed this but then he does tend to go for expensive things)
Look: 
Still watery but a bit more of a deep and lush red
Nose:
More tannins than the other two so a bit of a nose tickle yet there were some delicious sweet cherry and strawberry scents wafting from the glass.
Sip:  1/2
The first sip is a gorgeous explosion of fruit followed by a slight after burn
Swallow: 
Brett looks happy but I'm struggling to locate my mouth.

Chenin Blanc Natural Sweet 2008 R105

Look:
Rich golden colour characteristic of a Noble Late Harvest
Nose: 
Sweet and utterly divine. Amazing toffee smells and hints of apricots, oranges and peaches.
Sip: 
A fruit explosion similar to eating my Gran's treacle tart with apricot syrup.
Swallow: 
Brett was taken with it and usually he finds that sweet wines have a musky, old people aftertaste. But this was a beautifully constructed wine combining layers of    yummy fruit flavours.

In a state of sweet wine heaven....



No comments:

Post a Comment