Wednesday 22 June 2011

Plaisir de Merle

 I've wanted to visit Plaisir de Merle for so long now. I think it's the price of their wine in the bottle store or the fact that I heard that they did a chocolate and wine pairing. I've been begging Brett to take me and he made me a very happy girly when he took us, myself, Brett, Julz (dude with a severe hungover) and Michael (the wine virgin) one rather wet and windy Thursday.

I've been blown away by scenery before to then have my taste buds trampled on so I'm always wary of excessive beauty but throwing caution to the wind, I am truly in awe of Plaisir de Merle. It is in an exquisite location, the tasting room overlooks the most stunning scenery that reminds me very much of an English countryside.

We were greeted by a lovely and attentive lady and were given the wine tasting options. No chocolate and wine but they did have a four fudges and four wines pairing. I was sold. The boys choose to taste 6 wines.

My first wine was a Merlot which was to be paired with an orange flavoured fudge. (Yes, I thought it was a little odd too)

Look:
A deep and luscious full-bodied wine.
Nose: 
The first smell was divine. A rich infusion of raspberries, loganberries and wild fruits.
Sip: 
A strong minty taste which I was told was down to the vines growing near Eucalyptus trees. It had a very complicated taste that did burn somewhat.
Swallow:
I can't lie, it wasn't pleasant but incredibly tannic. I probably could have started a motor on the fumes.

The fudge, surprisingly, tasted better alone but was good in emptying my mouth of the smokey aftertaste.

Cabernet Sauvignon paired with a rum fudge.

Look: 
I can't fault the look of these wines. Stunningly rich colouring
Nose: 
There was a faint fruit smell but totally swamped by a clinical medicinal odour.
Sip: 
I feel as though I just pushed charcoal into my face. I'm pretty sure that isn't normal right?
Swallow: 
Obviously, I wasn't alive during either World War but I can gather, from swallowing that Cab Sav, what Mustard Gas must have been like.

The rum fudge was a welcome relief and I hate alcohol infused treats.

Shiraz paired with chilli fudge.

Look: 
Again, looks amazing and has a kick-ass body
Nose: 
This one shocked me. The usual peppery notes were in full swing but it was actually quite appealing. However, the second time around wasn't so appetising and I felt a little emotional.
Sip: 
My nose hairs are clinging on for dear life.
Swallow:
Wow! I feel as though I have just been kicked in the stomach. The chilli, combined with the Shiraz has seriously got me sweating.

Grande Plaisir - The flagship wine paired with cherry fudge

Look: 
Can't fault it at all.
Nose: 
You really get the spices and fruit flavours in this one
Sip: 
How disappointing. Reminded me of a time I used turps to get paint off the floor.
Swallow: 
I could barely move my lips as the wine was so drying. Even the cherry fudge couldn't save it as I spluttered crumbs everywhere. I could have drank an ocean dry. With the server standing next to me I just had to grin and bear it but I'm still trying to locate my tongue.

If we were going off the body of the wines and the initial smell then we would have found a winner but I think in this case, expensive isn't always better.


Wine quote of that day was from Mr Hungover upon smelling the Grande Plaisir:

"It smells like coffee! Wow. Quick, I need to put it in my mouth."

Poor boy, he never saw it coming

No comments:

Post a Comment