Friday 9 September 2011

Rupert & Rothschild

Wayne has been moaning at Brett and I to go to Rupert & Rothschild for aaaages. He should have pushed us more. It is such a stunning winery! The rolling lush green hills and the hints of blossom on the trees make for one of the best locations to taste wine.
We had been told/ordered to sample the Chardonnay, Baroness Nadine. You know me, I'm not a Chardonnay lover, they are usually too harsh and vomit-like....this was the most beautiful Chardonnay I had ever tasted. As Wayne put it, I'm pretty sure that angels drink this on a regular basis. The flavours are divine, subtle, sweet and fruity with hints of nutty nougat. This is going to make its way into our collection.
We then tried the Classique which is a Cab/Merlot (obviously Brett was happy). It's such a palatable wine without the fussy airs and graces of other expensive labels. It's got a slight earthy undertone and can be rather drying but the hints of berries is rather lush.
Our third wine was the Baron Edmond. We were supposed to be able to taste coriander but all I got was the cigar aftertaste, not that I am complaining. Granted, it was smokier than the Classique, but it is still so easy to drink that you fall in love with it.
It was such a lovely afternoon spent in the company of gorgeous wines and beautiful views.

No comments:

Post a Comment